16 November 2010

It's not all about me

Really, it's not all about me.  It's about Wolfhound hertiage and history that I symbolize.  Here's a sample of Wolfhound pride from 1931.


A life-sized “KOLCHAK” mounted high,
     Above the Sally port,
Gives warning to the passers by,
     When closely they desport;
He stands in proud defiance, calm,
     Collected, full of cheer,
And ready should his pack face harm, --
     A WOLFHOUND without fear.

--H.

     The Bark January 1931 (23 Jan 1931)

My mom and I have been studying my history so I can learn where I fit in the big picture.  Using http://www.kolchak.org/ , we found the Wolfhound's The Bark newsletter from January 1931 issue which has a front page drawing of the lifesize Russian Wolfhound (mascot) which hung over the D-quad sallyport (breeze way) facing Eighth Street.  The above poem was written about this mascot.


Inside the Salllyport circa 1935 with awards, medals, and
other artifacts presented to or won by Wolfhounds.
(photo courtesy of http://www.kolchak.org/ )

A modern take on Kolchak.
Photo taken by Mom January 2010 at a Change of Command ceremony.

http://www.kolchak.org/History/museum.htm
link says, "... a stainless steel of Kolchak that was given
 to the regiment by Mr. Akio Aoyama,
a long time supporter of the Holy Family Home
 and an ardent fan of the Wolfhounds."

I hope all Wolfhounds can be that Wolfhound who is calm, collected, and full of cheer yet ready to defend our pack and our nation.

There's our history lesson for today.  Back to napping. (I'm at "work" today and that's my job.)  Maybe someone will write a poem about a napping Wolfhound?  Please post it in the comments if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment